Southeast Alabama Community Foundation
The Southeast Alabama Community Foundation is an affiliate of the Central Alabama Community Foundation and offers citizens in the Wiregrass region the opportunity to build long-term support for their community. Individuals may establish new funds to support specific purposes or organizations, or they may contribute to existing funds.
Established in 1995 by community leaders, SACF serves the five-county Wiregrass region of Henry, Houston, Coffee, Dale and Geneva counties. SACF's Advisory Board of area citizens oversees an annual grantmaking program that determines the best investment of these community dollars.
SACF and The Mason Company are partnering to bring "Save, Invest and Give: Help Your Clients Meet Their Charitable Goals in Uncertain Times and Volatile Markets" to Montgomery and Dothan on September 22. Click here for more info.
SACF awarded $40,000 to Wiregrass nonprofit agencies Tuesday, April 19. Congratulations to these organizations:
- Alzheimer's Resource Center, Inc. $2,085.00 for additional educational books that are provided to caregivers at no charge to offer better quality of care for their loved ones.
- Boys & Girls Club of the Wiregrass-$1,500.00 for their Healthy Lifestyles project which offers dancing as exercise, requires no skill level, is fun and builds confidence.
- The DuBois Institute (Aunt Katie’s Garden)-$1,500.00 to challenge and strengthen students’ (ages 5 to 12) observation skills and improve access to fresh affordable food for families at the neighbor level.
- Enterprise Public Library-$2,500.00 to purchase and install one bilingual AWE Early Learning Literacy Station. The goal of this project is to provide a safe and fun learning environment for young children who may or may not have access to a computer at home.
- Family Services Center of Coffee County-$2,500.00 to cover transportation costs for home visits for Building Blocks, Young Parents and Assessment, and Referral home visitations.
- Fishing with Angels-$3,000.00 to make improvements to the existing facilities for both the attendees and volunteers.
- Foundation 154-$2,000.00 to construct an outdoor learning area for students and citizens at the Elba Giving Garden in Elba, AL.
- Genesis Housing and Development Corp.-$1,824.00 to provide the Friendship House with fencing to improve the safety of the play area for children living at the housing facility.
- Girls Inc. of Dothan-$2,500.00 to offer its girl members during the summer of 2016 art lessons that are connected to art history, math, science, and will provide students the opportunity to explore a wide variety of art media that they would not have the opportunity to do otherwise.
- Operation Homefront Southeast-$1,487.00 to provide school supplies and backpacks for children of military families in need of financial assistance.
- Patti Rutland Jazz-$1,500 to provide weekly dance classes to more than 6000 children in every Dothan City elementary and middle school and Vaughn Blumberg Center.
- Red Mountain Grace-$1,932.00 to provide patients from the Wiregrass area hospitality apartments while receiving medical treatments in Birmingham.
- Southeast Alabama Child Advocacy Center-$1,800.00 to purchase child abuse prevention materials to continue to expand our community-wide Child Abuse Prevention programs to middle and high school students.
- Southeast Diabetes Education Services (Camp Seale Harris)-$2,000 to provide quality diabetes education and support to Wiregrass children and families in a structured, safe, direct service program located in Dothan at Eastgate Park in June 2016.
- Vivian B. Adams School-$2,500.00 for an innovative and specially designed expressive arts initiative for the 115 individuals with intellectual disabilities served by the school.
- Wicksburg Volunteer Fire Rescue Dept.-$2,184.00 to purchase a variety of firefighting equipment.
- Wiregrass Area Food Bank-$2,470.00 to add 38 clients from our waiting list to the Brown Bag Food Program for one year.
- Wiregrass Angel House-$1,600.00 to help fund crime scene clean ups in the area.
- Wiregrass Hope Group-$2,118.00 to offer basic life skill classes to parents which will expose them to good information, provide them with helpful materials, and enable them to be taught by and mentored by individuals in the community with areas of expertise in parenting, relationships, finances, substance abuse, nutrition, education, and employment.
- Wiregrass Museum of Art-$1,000 to deliver art lessons to every 3rd grade classroom in the Dothan City and Houston County school systems.
SACF's 5th Annual Half Marathon & 5K was January 30, 2016. To learn more, click here.